Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] eSATA / USB disks as media for Bacula

2009-11-13 12:22:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] eSATA / USB disks as media for Bacula
From: Andrew vliet <arvliet AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:18:30 -0700
Kevin Keane wrote:
> [...]
It's been a while since I read up on the difference between eSATA and
SATA, so take this with a grain of salt.  That said - big point I
remember taking away from that effort was that eSATA HDDs provide an
extra bit flag that informs the OS, drivers, firmware, etc. that info
sent to that device should not be cached - it should be synced to the
device immediately.  There are other points like length of cable and EMI
shielding, but the "always commit my data" flag was the big one I found
most important - especially for hot swapping