Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Unmount command (Re: eSATA / USB disks as media for Bacula)

2009-11-14 09:20:51
Subject: [Bacula-users] Unmount command (Re: eSATA / USB disks as media for Bacula)
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:16:15 +0200
"Mike Ruskai" <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net> kirjoitti viestissä
news:4AFB06F0.1090201 AT earthlink DOT net...

> Just use "Media Type = File" in your director Storage definition block,
> which changes volumes from individual tapes to individual files.  Then
> use something like this in your storage daemon configuration:
>
> Device {
>   Name = MiniTowerStorage
>   Device Type = File
>   Media Type = File
>   Archive Device = /backups
>   LabelMedia = yes
>   Random Access = yes
> #  Requires Mount = yes
> #  Mount Point = "/backups"
> #  Mount Command = "/etc/bacula/mountback"
> #  Unmount Command = "/etc/bacula/unmountback"
>   AutomaticMount = yes
>   RemovableMedia = no
>   AlwaysOpen = no
> }
>
> That's from a 2.4.4 config.  The 3.x options may be slightly different,
> but I haven't migrated yet.
>
> The commented statements are what should make Bacula automatically mount
> and unmount the storage, but it doesn't actually work.  It will happily
> mount the array, but when the job is done, it does not run the unmount
> command.  I worked around that by adding before/after scripts to each
> job that do the mounting/unmounting.  You could just leave the storage
> mounted, of course, but I prefer being able to physically remove the
> drive tower at any time when a job isn't running, without having to
> manually log to unmount and stop the array first.
>
> Things get more complicated if you want to cycle multiple different
> drives.  You'll want to search the mailing list archive for info about
> that - as I recall from what I've read, it's not all that easy to do
> properly.

I have noticed the same problem of "unmount command not working".
As far as I can recall, I cound not find any documentation what it exactly
is expected to do, though the command was in the sample configs.
I asked this a couple of times in this bacula user list, and after a long
silence at both times I finally repeated it in the devel list on 30 May
2009. Then I got a reply quoted below from Kern.

This reply below still left me wonder what that unmount command is really
expected to do (if anything?), and if I should have filed a bug report or
not.

Does anyone have any more up-to-date information of this disk unmount issue?