Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude not working the way I expected

2009-11-14 09:00:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Exclude not working the way I expected
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:31:20 +0100
Hello,

14.11.2009 02:55, Dan Langille wrote:
> Glynd wrote:
>> I have obviously not understood how exclude works.

:-)

You're not rhe first there - excludes are a bit difficukt to
understand, I guess.

>> I have the following in my fileset resource but all that is backed up are
>> the directories defined in the Glynbup.txt with no files
>>
>> FileSet {
>>   Name = "Glyn Set"
>>   Enable VSS = yes
>>   Include {
>>     Options {
>>      Compression = GZIP
>> #    signature = MD5
>>      ignore case = yes
>>      Exclude = yes

You've got an exclude without specifying what to exclude. I don't know
what defaults Bacula uses in that case.

Also note that, for obvious reasons, it's not very useful to specify a
signature method and compression for excluded files...

>>     }
>>
>>      File = "</var/lib/bacula/bin/Glynbup.txt"
>>   }
>>   Exclude {
>>      File = "</var/lib/bacula/bin/glynexclude.txt"
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> The Glynbup.txt has a list of directories without "File =" like this
>> c:/downloads
>> c:/My Documents
>>
>> The glynexclude.txt is of the same format. Even if I just put in the exclude
>> resource, the actual directories in the form of:
>> c:/users/temp
>> c:/user/Nethood
>
> Tried it without c:?
>
>  From
> http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION0014110000000000000000
>

> "If you are using the old Exclude syntax (noted below), you may not
> specify a drive letter in the exclude. The new syntax noted above should
> work fine including driver letters. "
>
> Just in case...

I don't think I ever used the old syntax, so I assume Dan is right.

But, more to the point, you'll probably need at least two include
sections:

One with "Exclude = Yes" and using a file you prepared, the other with
the compression and signature options.

The exclude one should be the first include section in the fileset -
the first match wins, so if you have the other one first, and files
are listed in both sections, they will be backed up.

Personally, if you're already preparing lists of files to back up, I
would just make sure your list to include only contains what you
really want - that would be even simpler.

Cheers,

Arno

>> instead of referencing the file, I still get only the directories and no
>> files.
>>
>> The workaround I am using is to comment out exclude = yes. Ugly but it does
>> the job.
>>
>> Would someone please show me the error of my ways?
>>
>> TIA
>> Glyn

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann