Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] autochanger and barcode

2009-10-28 04:10:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] autochanger and barcode
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 09:06:28 +0100
Hi,

21.10.2009 12:43, Nicola Quargentan wrote:
> Jari Fredriksson ha scritto:
>>
>> 20.10.2009 2:25, Nicola Quargentan kirjoitti:
>>> With this metode I'm unable to know where is my data in my volumes (only
>>> bacula know that).
>>> Ad absurdum I could end up finding a piece of data of single server
>>> stored in each of 24 tapes :O (IMHO).
>>>
>> Bacula knows, and tells it to you with a query.
>>

> cut...
>
>> Bacula does not need a tape in order to make a query into it. Unlike
>> many other simpler backup systems may do.
>>
>> You make a query, and *then* get the tape into your hand. Not the other
>> way round. Simple.
>
> This is good, but the problem remains the fact of I not being able to
> pull out a single tape from the autochanger and store it in another safe
> place (under my bed !).

Why not?

You use bconsole or a customized script to find volumes you want to
unload and store safely.
You - or the script - marks those volumes as "Used" that are in that
list and still in state "Append". Then unmount or release the
autochanger tapes.
Optionally, re-order volumes in the library to put the ones to be
unloaded into import/export slots
Manually unload the volumes, and - manually or automatically - issue
an 'update slots' command, so Bacula knows about the re-ordered
volumes, and ones you probably loaded into the autochanger.

I've got a scriot to do most of that work, but it's customized to some
special needs, but if you want it send me an email!

Cheers,

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann