Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] autochanger and barcode

2009-10-16 09:18:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] autochanger and barcode
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:14:57 -0400
Nicola,

If you're using barcodes you can greatly simplify what you're doing.
Instead of using one pool per day, just use one pool for all backups and
one scratch pool.  Place all the tapes in the scratch pool.

Forget about trying to keep straight which tape is for which day and let
bacula track that for you.  When you need to do a restore, let bacula tell
you which volumes that data is on.

Set volume retention, job retention, file retention, and volume use
duration if you find that you don't fill up a tape as fast as you would
like, then if you wanted to do some inchanger-out of changer tape rotation,
periodically remove tapes marked Full or Used.

To label them do 'label barcodes slots=first-last" substituting the slot
numbers for the first and last slots holding the tapes to be labelled.

    Bob