Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] autochanger and barcode

2009-10-16 14:29:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] autochanger and barcode
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:24:21 +0200
Hi,

16.10.2009 18:45, Nicola Quargentan wrote:
> Bob Hetzel ha scritto:
>> Forget about trying to keep straight which tape is for which day and let
>> bacula track that for you.  When you need to do a restore, let bacula
>> tell you which volumes that data is on.
>
> I'm not fully persuased about bacula. I fear that the database (MySQL)
> become corrupted.

In all the years I use Bacula at several locations I haven't seen such
a case (unless I broke it myself, manually, and knowing the risk I ran
:-) , so I believe you don't have to be afraid of that.

Furthermore, once you have more than a really small number of backup
jobs, backups you keep, clients, and media, you need some way to track
all of that.

Bacula's database catalog is, compared to most of the other solutions
I had to suffer, astonishingly robust. Furthermore, you can do as many
dumps of it as you like. And any manual way of managing that
information is, in my opinion, doomed to fail - I recall when I was
using tar and lots of post-its on the tapes, and then tar plus some
script resulting in printouts of the backup information...
unmaintainable is a polite word to describe that.

In short, the catalog *any* serious backup solution provides is
essential, and you've simply got to trust it. Bacula's catalog is one
of the more robust versions of such a catalog, and thus it's unlikely
any alternative will work more considerably reliable.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann