Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] autochanger and barcode

2009-10-17 02:13:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] autochanger and barcode
From: Jesper Krogh <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>
To: Nicola Quargentan <nicola AT quargentan DOT com>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:10:19 +0200
Nicola Quargentan wrote:
> Jesper Krogh ha scritto:
>> Nicola Quargentan wrote:
>>> I'm very newbie and I want to use a DELL TL2000 autochanger.
>>> I made 7 pool in config file, one for each day of week:
>>> Monday, Tuesday, etc.
>> Monday, Tuesday and so is mostly used when you dont have an autochanger.
>
> Oh you are right: before autochanger I have only a single tape drive,
> and I change the tape every day :O
>
>> When you do have one I recommend setting up Pools so then reflect your
>> retention policies. In my setup we:
>> * Keep full backups for a year (run monthly)
>> * Keep differential backups for a year (run weekly)
>> * Keep incremental backups for 6 months (run daily).
>>
>> This translates into 3 Pools, Full, Differential and Incremental. On
>> these pools the retentiontime is set and then automatically move back to
>> Scratch-pool when retention-time has expired. So all "fresh" volumes
>> just goes directly into Scratch pool.
>>
>> Bacula will try to "fill tapes completely" e.g. fill mondays's tape with
>> tuesdays data if not explicitly configured otherwise.
>
> Uhmm, I want to be indipendent from bacula. My purpose is to
> occasionally carry out my tapes, and store them on a strongbox :)
> If my backup bacula server crash I don't want lose all my data.
> So I want to know where bacula store my data.

Then I'd suggest that you run  mysqldump on the catalog and burn it to a
CD or similar occationally.

I have a small perl-script that can process the catalog and give a list
of files/timestamps/paths/clients stored on a volume .. (can give
information for use with bextract if needed). Would that have any interest?

--
Jesper