Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Autochanger problem

2009-10-27 13:34:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Autochanger problem
From: Thomas Bennett <bennetttm AT appstate DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 13:18:40 -0400
I realize now you have mostly done all that.  If this is a Dell or IBM unit
there should be an adminstrative program as descibed below which will let you
move tapes to the I/O slot to remove them.  Also, there may be a WEB server
built in as on the Dell and IBM that will let you administer the library
through a browser to move tapes to the I/O slot to remove them individually.
After removing tapes so that the library is not over full then you can run
"update slots" and/or "read barcodes"

The ITDT program is java based and if you are running a RedHat based distro
like Fedora then you will need to install a different JRE as described in the
documentation with the ITDT program.

Thomas

On Tuesday 27 October 2009 12:42:20 Thomas Bennett wrote:
> I am making an assumption that this is the Dell backup library or actually
>  IBM who manufactured the dell product There is a program itdt-dcr or as
>  shown as the title to my icon ITDT - DELL Customer Release.  I think I
>  found this on the dell site and it is a desktop program for controlling
>  and administrating the backup library on a linux server. There may be a
>  Windows version   I use it on the Dell TL2000.  Your customer might find
>  this easier than the little LED on the tape library.
>

> Also, helpful commands
>
> Find the tape changer:  my system automatically set a changer link to the
> device.
>

> @localhost bacula]# dir /dev | grep sg
>      3341 drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root         240 2009-07-02 17:58 bsg/
>      4313 lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root           3 2009-07-02 17:58 changer ->
>  sg4 4316 lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root           3 2009-07-02 17:58 changer-sg4
>  -> sg4
>       556 crw-rw----. 1 root root      1,  11 2009-07-02 17:58 kmsg
>       620 crw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom    21,   0 2009-07-02 17:58 sg0
>      3619 crw-rw----. 1 root disk     21,   1 2009-07-02 17:58 sg1
>      3695 crw-rw----. 1 root disk     21,   2 2009-07-02 17:58 sg2
>      4560 crw-rw----. 1 root tape     21,   3 2009-07-02 17:58 sg3
>      4306 crw-rw----. 1 root tape     21,   4 2009-07-02 17:58 sg4
>

> See what is in the changer, if you do not find which sg to use start with
>  sg0 through the sgx where x is the highest number shown.  This will tell
>  you if the drive is loaded and with which slot the tape was loaded from
>  and if any slots are empty.
>
> Here, element 0 is the tape drive and is loaded with the tape from slot 19
>  and slot 19 is empty. IMPORT/EXPORT is for manually loading single tapes
>  from the IMPORT/EXPORT door on the front of the library and should
>  probably usually be empty..
>

> [xxxx@localhost bacula]# mtx -f /dev/sg4 status
>   Storage Changer /dev/sg4:1 Drives, 23 Slots ( 1 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 19 Loaded):VolumeTag =
>  000019L4 Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=000001L4
>       Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=000002L4
>       Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=000003L4
>       Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=000004L4
>       Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=000005L4
>       Storage Element 6:Full :VolumeTag=000006L4
>       Storage Element 7:Full :VolumeTag=000007L4
>       Storage Element 8:Full :VolumeTag=000008L4
>       Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=000009L4
>       Storage Element 10:Full :VolumeTag=000010L4
>       Storage Element 11:Full :VolumeTag=000011L4
>       Storage Element 12:Full :VolumeTag=000012L4
>       Storage Element 13:Full :VolumeTag=000013L4
>       Storage Element 14:Full :VolumeTag=000014L4
>       Storage Element 15:Full :VolumeTag=000015L4
>       Storage Element 16:Full :VolumeTag=000016L4
>       Storage Element 17:Full :VolumeTag=000017L4
>       Storage Element 18:Full :VolumeTag=000018L4
>       Storage Element 19:Empty
>       Storage Element 20:Full :VolumeTag=000020L4
>       Storage Element 21:Empty
>       Storage Element 22:Empty
> [...]

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/