Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Autochanger problem

2009-10-27 09:49:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Autochanger problem
From: Oddbjørn Sjøgren <bjorn AT yaymicro DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 14:46:43 +0100
Thank you Allan

So I talked to the people who are hosting today, and they had indeed done a mistake replacing the tapes. It was now completely full. I asked them to remove one (the 24 slot, VolumeTag=ARS655L3) and he did. Now, I was going to follow your procedure, and started with a status to see if everything looked ok. That gave me this result:

# mtx status
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Unit Attention
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 28
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 01
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
Mode sense (0x1A) for Page 0x1D failed
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Not Ready
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 04
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
READ ELEMENT STATUS Command Failed

Whats going on here?

Bjorn

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Allan Black <Allan.Black AT btconnect DOT com> wrote:
Oddbjørn Sjøgren wrote:
> They are using a LTO-3 autochanger and recently changed the tapes in it
> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Unknown Storage Element Loaded):VolumeTag
> = ARS645L3
>       Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=ARS664L3
>       Storage Element 2:Full
[etc. - all the slots, and the drive, are occupied?]

It looks as if they have changed the tapes and filled up all the slots while
there was a tape in the drive.

Data Transfer Element = tape drive
Storage Element = slot

Assuming I am right, they now have the drive full, but no free slots in the
autochanger. You're not allowed to do that. If the drive is occupied, there
must be at least one free slot so that the drive can be unloaded into it,
before the next tape is loaded into the drive.

It also looks as if the autochanger has a barcode reader, but the inventory
hasn't been updated since the tapes were changed (some autochangers will
automatically inventory themselves; some won't).

First thing to do is free up at least one slot. Take a tape out by hand if
you have to, but taking the one out of the import/export slot will probably
be easiest if removing that particular tape would be OK.

Then unload the drive into the empty slot (mtx -f <changer> unload <slot> 0)
or use the autoloader's front panel or admin interface to do it.

Then inventory the autoloader (mtx -f <changer> inventory) or panel. Use the
mtx status command to check it.

Then update the Bacula database with the state of the autochanger. Use the
bconsole "update" command. Something like "update slots storage=<name>"
should do.

Then try to label a tape, run a backup, etc.

>>From the messages in your email, it looks as if Bacula has already unmounted
the drive, but it's difficult to tell.

Allan