Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] disk full, need to reset and upgrade

2009-08-04 05:14:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] disk full, need to reset and upgrade
From: Richard Mortimer <richm AT oldelvet.org DOT uk>
To: Thomas Manson <dev.mansonthomas AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 09:47:47 +0100
Hi Thomas,

It isn't clear from your message what you are asking for help with. That
said I have made some comments inline below.

Thomas Manson wrote:
> One other thing :
>
>   I've set to 40 volumes.
>
>   When all volume were filled up, I was expecting bacula to recycle the
> first volume... but it didn't, I had to increase the number of volume...
>
> Thomas.
>
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 09:58, Thomas Manson <dev.mansonthomas AT gmail DOT
> com
> <mailto:dev.mansonthomas AT gmail DOT com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>       I've been using bacula to backup remote hosts through ssh connection.
>
>       It works well except that :
>
>         * a lot of data is backed up on remote host uselessly (as log
>           file ...)
>         * I need to upgrade to bacula 3.x to have the exclude feature...
>           but I'm running on ubuntu and would like to keep the apt-get
>           update feature working for bacula
>         * My hardrives are full. While I didn't have a NAS ready, I set
>           the backup directory to /backup on my primary disks (raid1).
>           I now have 2.7TB in Raid5 on a nas mounted in /mnt/backup
>

>     What I would like is :
>
>         * upgrade to v3 and backup only what is needed (with the exclude
>           feature)
It isn't clear if Exclude is the only reason why you want to upgrade to
v3 but the Exclude directive in FileSet has been there for a long time
and it certainly exists in the 2.x series. There is no need to upgrade
to get that functionality.

>         * delete all existing backup in /backup (150GB)
>         * start backing up on /mnt/backup
Why not just copy/move the data from /backup into /mnt/backup and then
change your -sd configuration to point to /mnt/backup. That way you can
keep all of your existing backups and get your setup correctly
configured without too much disruption.

Before you copy the data you should ensure that no backups are currently
running and stop the -sd before moving the files. Once you have moved
the files edit you bacula-sd.conf to point to the new location and
restart the sd daemon.

Regards

Richard