Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] reversing order of contact?

2009-08-04 05:41:53
Subject: [Bacula-users] reversing order of contact?
From: Toni Mueller <support AT oeko DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:37:46 +0200

Hi,

I've wondered about why my clients won't back up, but think that I
found the problem after reviewing this page:

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/What_is_Bacula.html#SECTION00220000000000000000

The picture specifies that the client accesses the server to ship its
data. This collides with my settings quite a bit because the director
and storage server are behind a firewall, and cannot directly be
accessed by the clients. What would work, however, is to tell the
director/storage daemon(s) to contact the client, but offhand, I don't
seem to figure out how to configure this.

For me, the problem would be removed if I could have this

SD -> FD instead of
FD -> SD

(as described on this page:
http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Dealing_with_Firewalls.html).

I'd like to know why the original desin decision was taken, as the
client (FD) doesn't have any knowledge about where the storage server
is, anyway, the director could imho equally well tell the storage
daemon to talk to a certain client, than it could tell the client to
talk to a certain storage server. Maybe I'm missing something...

Kind regards,
--Toni++