Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Best way to backup simultaneously

2009-03-20 10:35:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Best way to backup simultaneously
From: Jason Dixon <jdixon AT omniti DOT com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:30:06 -0400
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 06:56:38AM -0700, Kevin Keane wrote:
> Jason Dixon wrote:
> >
> > They don't.  Previously, the OS backups and the log backups each had
> > their own pool on the same storage device (tape drive).  Recently, the
> > OS backups have used their own pool on a File device instead.  It has
> > made no difference.
> >
> Also keep in mind that when you don't specify a Maximum Concurrent Job
> somewhere, it may have defaulted to 1.
>
> You can actually see whether that is the problem. In bconsole, when you
> do a "stat dir" while the log job is waiting for the storage device, it
> will tell you why it is waiting. You can also do a "stat storage" to
> find out more details.

Here is an example from yesterday.  Job 11174 is the transaction logs.
The others are OS jobs I ran manually from bconsole.

Running Jobs:
 JobId Level   Name                       Status
 11172 Full    Unix_crank-va-3.2009-03-19_17.36.24 is running
 11173 Full    Unix_crank-va-4.2009-03-19_17.39.25 is running
 11174 Full    DatabaseArchives_crank-va-3.2009-03-19_17.40.27 is
waiting for higher priority jobs to finish
====

> > I have one question here which should clarify a lot.  I've been unable
> > to find it anywhere in the documentation.  Can the Storage Daemon write
> > to devices using different pools at the same time?  Example:
> >
> > client 1 -> job 1 -> bacula-sd -> pool 1 -> media
> > client 2 -> job 2 -> bacula-sd -> pool 2 -> media
> >
> > If this can be done simultaneously, then I'm doing something wrong.  If
> > it can't, I just need to know this so I can focus on getting a 2nd
> > Storage Daemon running for the OS jobs to FileStorage.
> >
> It's actually a bit different. Pool and storage resources are managed by
> the director, not the SD.
>
> client1 -> job1 -> pool1/storage resource1 -> bacula-sd -> media1
> client2 -> job2 -> pool2/storage resource2 -> bacula-sd -> media2
>
> That should work. I have had two concurrent backups going to two
> different media at the same time.

I'll try it again today with all of the "Maximum Concurrent Jobs"
set to 10.

--
Jason Dixon
OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc.