Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Best way to backup simultaneously

2009-03-19 18:10:08
Subject: [Bacula-users] Best way to backup simultaneously
From: Jason Dixon <jdixon AT omniti DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:01:33 -0400
Rather than continue to beat my head against the wall, let me describe
what I need Bacula to perform and hopefully someone smarter than me can
suggest the best setup.

We have 3 types of jobs in this particular facility:

1) OS backups that run nightly
2) Database backup that runs nightly
3) Database transaction logs that are initiated by the client, typically
every 10 minutes.  These are very important and need to be flushed to
tape in an expedient manner.

We have a single drive Sony SDX-700C robot.  We also have local file
storage available.  The most important consideration is that #3 gets
completed quickly each time it runs, or it risks backing up the next run
and causing our monitoring system to page.  :-P

The problem I typically run into is that because the client initiates
the #3 jobs, they are forced to wait each night as #1 jobs finish.  Even
with a higher priority, since they are not scheduled jobs.  I even went
so far as to create a FileStorage device for #1 jobs.  But this made no
difference in my tests.

My last resort is to start up another storage daemon for the #1 jobs, but
I'd like to ask you all first to see if there's a better way, or maybe
I've just missed something simple.

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon