Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Best way to backup simultaneously

2009-03-19 23:49:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Best way to backup simultaneously
From: Jason Dixon <jdixon AT omniti DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:39:48 -0400
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 06:08:23PM -0700, Kevin Keane wrote:
> Jason Dixon wrote:
> >
> > I've tried that.  But since the scheduled OS backup jobs are already
> > running, the client-initiated transaction log jobs are forced to wait.
> >
> Then you probaby still had a Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1 setting somewhere.

The only place I have "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1" are for the OS
backups.  The database and transaction log jobs all use "Maximum
Concurrent Jobs = 10".

> Is flushing the ONLY purpose of backing up the transaction log? Would
> you ever restore a transaction log backup? And if so, would you or the
> dba know HOW to restore a transaction log properly? How long do you need
> this backup to be retained?

Yes, it is used to restore the database state.  And yes, we've tested
it.  We have it retained for 14 days.

> What I am thinking is that if the transaction log only needs to be kept
> for 24 hours (since the last full backup), you might be able - and
> better off - storing it on a hard disk rather than a tape in the first
> place. Preferably of course a separate hard disk.

We run full backups every day of the database.  Mind you, these are
backups of a slave replication PostgreSQL database.  There are multiple
layers of redundancy and recovery.

> > I've been unable to get Migration working as intended.  I've posted
> > previously about that but never got a working conclusion.
> >
> I'm not talking about migration. Spooling is a pretty low-level feature;
> it's in the original job itself. Basically, instead of writing the data
> from a job straight to the tape, bacula creates a file, stores the data
> there, and then as soon as the tape becomes available copies it to the tape.

One of the requirements dictated to me is that these logs are saved to
tape immediately.  Spooling or queueing to disk is not a viable option
for this application (in management's eyes).

Thank you for your feedback thus far.  But please understand that my
role within the scope of this task is that of the implementor of these
requirements.  I'd like to complete this as painlessly and "correctly"
within the parameters defined.  Under other circumstances, I'd be happy
to weigh the pros and cons of the architecture.  But in this case, it's
just a matter of:

1) Backing up the transaction logs immediately (initiated by client).
2) Backing up the full Database snapshot.
3) Backing up the OS jobs nightly.
4) Making doubly sure #1 happens as quickly as possible (i.e. not having
to queue behind #2 or #3.

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon