Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change

2008-12-17 13:02:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:57:49 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Josh Fisher wrote:

> > I'm running spooling on a 4 drive software raid0 quite happily on a 4Gb
> > 3GHz P4D machine. The limiting factors are disk head seek time(*) when
> > running concurrent backups to 2 LTO2 drives and available SATA ports.
> > Because of that I'm considering dropping in solid state disks.
> >

> I've been wondering about those, but was thinking it would be better used as
> DB storage for Mysql, where I/Os per second is going to be more important than
> throughput. I see your point, though, where concurrent jobs are running.

There's no way in the world that I'd put any Database on RAID0, for
pretty obvious reasons.

In the case of Mysql, the biggest win will be simply having enough memory
to prevent the system from paging and having the mysql system tuned
appropriately to use it.

Past that, good fast arrays will help, but not as much as having
sufficient memory in the first place (where "sufficient" may be 16Gb or
more for large databases)

AB