Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change

2008-12-10 08:13:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:11:06 +0000 (GMT)
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Lukasz Szybalski wrote:

> I'm not sure about ubuntu, but if you are installing debian you can
> setup raid right there, during installation. It was fairly easy. After
> that bacula setup and you are ready to go.

Ubuntu _is_ Debian, more or less.

There's plenty of configurability in the drive setup and I setup raid1 on
my personal machine in about 5 minutes during the installation procedure
(it took longer to navigate the menus than to configure the raid array)

> Do people have recommendation on that? I actually would like to add a
> 5th 500gb drive to my raid but I have no space for it.

If you have a PCIe x1 connector then there are plenty of dumb dual SATA
adaptors available. Quad-SATA can be found with some difficulty (Promise
make one, but it can be hard to obtain)

If you have PCIe x4, then smarter cards are available, up to 16 SATA/SAS
ports.

Alternatively (or as well as...), something like 1 or more LaCie "Biggest"
or "Quadra" external eSATA arrays may be worth looking at.

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=11115
http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10458

AB