Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change

2008-12-09 14:06:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Brian Debelius" <bdebelius AT intelesyscorp DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:04:20 -0500
> So what do you think a reasonable cpu for bacula would be?

Depends on what level of performance you are looking for. My director
is a 2 processor 2GHz opteron machine (circa 2003) with 4 GB of memory
and 18 or so  x 250 GB SATA 1 drives in raid 6. My main storage daemon
is on a second machine with the same cpus and ram but only 5 x 250 GB
SATA drives and the storage is a 2 drive x 24 slot LTO 2 autochanger.
Right now the bacula database is on that machine but it has been on
yet another machine. On top of that a typical SATA fileserver will be
a desktop class 2.5GHz Athlon X2  with 4 or 8GB of memory and 5 to 10
750 GB Segate SATA2 drives in raid 6 using mostly the motherboard sata
ports. This type of machine will net 300MB/s writes and even higher
reads in xfs. At 300 MB/s writes the cpu usage never goes above 7% for
the raid under normal conditions. Replacing a drive will make it go to
around 20% of 1 cpu until the drive is re synced.

--
John M. Drescher