Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]

2008-11-14 17:39:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 23:36:40 +0100
Hi,

14.11.2008 19:08, Hemant Shah wrote:

> [...]

This has been discussed some time ago. At that time, Kern more or less
decided that NDMP could not be supported by Bacula.

Currently, I'm writing a short description of how NDMP can be used by
Bacula (sort of limited, but probably usable in many cases).

It seems to be possible to enable Bacula to store NDMP-created dumps
of SAN devices, and to push them back to an NDMP-capable device
(probably only the same family, but that's how NDMP works as far as I
know).

There will probably be no support for anything but full backups,
though, and Bacula will know nothing of the actual contents of the
NDMP-created BLOB (again, this is because NDMP doesn't provide that
feature).

Assuming I understood the internals of NDMP well enough, I can express
my ideas clearly, and the Bacula developers believe they could
implement the technical aspects of it, NDMP could become a plugin to
the FD on day - provided someone actually develops it :-)

Obviously, if someone or some company wants this bad enough to support
developing it that would ensure faster progress. At this stage,
though, I don't think there's much to discuss.

Once I've got my ideas in a usable form, and have discussed them with
a number of people, I will present them here and in -devel - hopefully
by end of November.

Arno

> Hemant Shah
> E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com