Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]

2008-11-13 11:06:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 08:04:35 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 11/13/08, Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de> wrote:

> From: Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
> Subject: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Thursday, November 13, 2008, 5:05 AM
> Hi,
>
> we have noticed a blocker which may be resolved in later
> versions of the
> file daemon, if not I will file it as a bug. If, for
> whatsoever reason a
> network share breaks away, which is (implicitly) included
> in the fileset
> the job will stall. At this very moment I am waiting for
> four backup
> jobs. I have tried to cancel them without any success. The
> jobs have
> been running for some 8 hours now, cancellation attempt was
> roundabout 3
> hours ago. As the rest of the system is still up and
> running and doing
> backups and migration I do not want to restart the
> director.
>
> Running Jobs:
> Console connected at 13-Nov-08 10:16
>  JobId Level   Name                       Status
>  41637 Increme  PLATON-W0001_System.2008-11-13_04.00.21 has
> been canceled
>  41641 Increme  PLATON-W0003_System.2008-11-13_04.00.25 has
> been canceled
>  41643 Increme  PLATON-W0004_System.2008-11-13_04.00.27 has
> been canceled
>  41645 Increme  PLATON-W0005_System.2008-11-13_04.00.29 has
> been canceled
>
> Due to a server failure the nfs shares are not available
> anymore. I
> would like to see some sort of a timeout at least if that
> is at all
> possible.
>
> The reason why I did not file the bug right away is because
> it may have
> been resolved with a later client version already, I will
> try to
> reproduce the steps with a more current version of the file
> daemon and
> post the news here. Any experiences on that matter are of
> course welcome...
>
> Client: Sparc Solaris 10 (SunOS 5.9 Generic_122300-15 sun4u
> sparc
> SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490), FD-Version: 2.2.8
> Server: Debian Etch, Dir-Version: 2.4.3
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ronald
>
> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Ronald Buder
> Dipl-Ing.(BA)
>
> Profi.Com AG
> Büro Dresden
> Stresemannplatz 3
> D-01309 Dresden mail: rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de

> Developer's challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK
> & win great prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
> anywhere in the world

  I was having similar problem. If my client would drop off the network while
it was being backed up, I could not cancel the job. Eric had a patch for that,
maybe it will fix your problem too.

See  http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=1166

I have installed the patch, but I have not tested it. None of my clients have
crashed or lost network connection in last few weeks :-)

Will this patch be included in future version of bacula?

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com