Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]

2008-11-13 16:40:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 22:35:51 +0100
Hi,

13.11.2008 17:57, Ronald Buder wrote:
> Hi
>> It's a really _bad_ idea to backup NFS mounts. I explicitly exclude all of
>> these in my backup definitions.
>>
>> If at all possible, run a client on the NFS server to backup those
>> filesystems directly.
>>
> I might not have clarified the setup just as much as I should have.
> We're using central file system templates in order to run system backups
> for Windows and Unix systems. The template for a Unix system includes /,
> which is in fact "the root of all evil." We supply our customers with
> standardized installations with full root access, keep administrative
> accounts in order to jump in and clean up the mess they leave, and offer
> a centralized backup infrastructure utilizing Bacula. In this case the
> user(s) created a directory /net and mounted nfs shares. As long as the
> server is available we receive simple warning messages telling us that
> /net is in fact mounted with a different file system and will not be
> backed up. All is good. However a broken nfs mount causes some confusion.
>
> Hope to have cleared up some of the confusion about this...

Well, in that situation, the best thing you can do is to advise your
users to always mount nfs shares with soft or intr options, and also
inform them that, if they don't, you simply will not be able to
guarantee backups if they encounter nfs problems.

The other approach - teaching Bacula about nfs peculiarities and
adding code to recover from stale nfs mounts - requires not only new
code, but also the same cooperation from your users, so I don't think
this will be possible soon.

Of course, excluding nfs mounted filesystems is a good move, but only
works if you don't rely on unmodified generic fileset definitions, of
course.

Arno

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann