Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]

2008-11-13 11:59:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Missing nfs share blocks job [fd: 2.2.8]
From: Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:57:05 +0100
Hi
> It's a really _bad_ idea to backup NFS mounts. I explicitly exclude all of
> these in my backup definitions.
>
> If at all possible, run a client on the NFS server to backup those
> filesystems directly.

I might not have clarified the setup just as much as I should have.
We're using central file system templates in order to run system backups
for Windows and Unix systems. The template for a Unix system includes /,
which is in fact "the root of all evil." We supply our customers with
standardized installations with full root access, keep administrative
accounts in order to jump in and clean up the mess they leave, and offer
a centralized backup infrastructure utilizing Bacula. In this case the
user(s) created a directory /net and mounted nfs shares. As long as the
server is available we receive simple warning messages telling us that
/net is in fact mounted with a different file system and will not be
backed up. All is good. However a broken nfs mount causes some confusion.

Hope to have cleared up some of the confusion about this...