Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Hung on "Dir inserting attributes"

2008-11-13 05:08:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Hung on "Dir inserting attributes"
From: ebollengier <eric AT eb.homelinux DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 02:06:15 -0800 (PST)

ebollengier wrote:

> Jason Dixon-6 wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:56:21AM -0800, ebollengier wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The batch mode improve the speed with postgresql by a factor of 10
>>> (maybe
>>> 20), using
>>> a very big job (15M files) with the standard mode won't work too.
>>
>> I don't understand what you're saying.  Are you suggesting that either
>> way I won't be able to perform this backup due to the number of files?
>>

> The backup is possible, but your configuration (hardware and software)
> needs to be able to
> do this big insert. For example, if you have only 256MB for ram and 1 poor
> old ide drive, it
> will take some time.
>
> I just say that the old "per file" insertion mode will take 10 more time,
> and it's already too
> long for you.
>
> With Postgres, you can run your catalog backup at the same time than other
> jobs (try to
> avoid having 10 jobs during this job)
>
> Bye

Look at http://pastebin.com/m32969087

I have run 2 batch transaction at the same time, and as you can see that all
locks are "granted", and exclusive locks are not global. So no deadlock and
all run fine.

Are you sure that your system is frozen ? (no io, no cpu)

Maybe you can modify the fileid sequence to have a bigger cache. (by default
it 1, so you
may have contention)

Bye