Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Hung on "Dir inserting attributes"

2008-11-11 17:35:42
Subject: [Bacula-users] Hung on "Dir inserting attributes"
From: Jason Dixon <jdixon AT omniti DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:32:44 -0500
We have a new Bacula server (2.4.2 on Solaris 10 x86) that runs fine for
most backup jobs.  However, we've encountered a particular job that
hangs indefinitely with the status "Dir inserting attributes".  It's
important to note that all of our other jobs complete successfully
except this one.

Running Jobs:
 JobId Level   Name                       Status
    90 Full    Unix_zimbra.2008-11-10_15.26.10 Dir inserting Attributes
====

This particular job is for our Zimbra server (2.4.3 on Linux x86_64).
The job is predictably large (275GB, 15M files).  I asked our PostgreSQL
DBA to review the database and he found a hung statement (backslashes
are mine):

INSERT INTO File (FileIndex, JobId, PathId, FilenameId, LStat, \
MD5)SELECT batch.FileIndex, batch.JobId, Path.PathId, \
Filename.FilenameId,batch.LStat, batch.MD5 FROM batch JOIN Path ON \
(batch.Path = Path.Path) JOIN Filename ON (batch.Name = Filename.Name)

At this point, other jobs (except Catalog Backup) will continue to run
and complete successfully.  But to get the Catalog Backup running, I
have to cancel the zimbra job, restart bacula-dir, and kick off the
Catalog Backup job.  Otherwise, the Catalog jobs will just sit there
waiting to execute.  I've let these jobs sit for days in this state, so
it's not like I'm being impatient.  :)

One other note.  If the DBA kills that query in the database, the job
completes.  Although the director reports an Error, it updates the
catalog successfully.  If I cancel the job inside bconsole, nothing
else gets updated in the catalog, presumably due to a database lock.
The first job below (jobid 90) was one I cancelled;  the next (jobid
104) was where the database query was killed.

*llist jobid=90
No results to list.

*llist jobid=104
           jobid: 104