Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] possible console interface improvement

2008-11-13 04:54:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] possible console interface improvement
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:55:11 +0100
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:21:42 +0100, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> There's one simple solution: Don't use those constructs... instead,
> use 'update volume=volname FromPool=oldpool pool=newpool'
>
> (Untested, just had a look at the code... the manual does not mention
> this.)

Nor does the online help, which I guess is the main reason why that
syntax isn't widely known or used. It is just not feasible for everyone
to consult the source code in order to find out what keywords a command
accepts. And the response of bconsole to an unknown keyword is also
somewhat, erm, unusual.

My suggestions for improvement (and no, I don't understand the Bacula
source code nearly well enough to try and implement them myself) would be:

1. Extend the "help" command to accept a command name argument and list
the keywords accepted by that command.

2. Enhance the command parser to accept abbreviations for keywords.

3. Modify the command parser to reject unknown keywords instead of
silently ignoring them.

4. Improve the manual by merging the "Alphabetical List of Console
Keywords" and "Alphabetical List of Console Commands" section into a
single list describing each command accepted by bconsole completely,
with all keywords it will accept.

Thanks,
Tilman