Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-06 23:58:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:55:15 -0500
On Nov 6, 2008, at 10:55 PM, John Drescher wrote:

>>> I'm sorry but I'm starting to have serious doubts about that.
>>> I have been trying for a long time and in many different ways
>>> to get that to work, and each time I ask a question here why
>>> my latest attempt doesn't work either, the answer is "post
>>> config", "post log", and then: silence.
>>
>> What can I say?  I'm not responsible for people not answering.
>> Nor is anybody else.  That's how it works.  Or more precisely,
>> doesn't.
>>
> I can say I try to get involved in as many of these type of questions
> as I can handle. The biggest reasons after asking for a config or log
> and then silence from me is I do not see anything that is obvious, I
> have not experienced that myself (in the 4 to 5 years I have used
> bacula) and I do not specifically remember a conversation on the list
> that is similar and had a solution. Sometimes in this case I post the
> question to the developers but this depends on a lot of factors. One
> being that I do have a day job that is in no way affiliated with
> bacula.

Exactly.  We are all volunteers where.  Helping out, when, and if,
we can.  We do this in our *spare* time.   Sometimes I know the
answer and don't answer because I know it's a pretty simple question
that anyone can answer.  This encourages new people to get involved
with answering.

If something is very hard to do, perhaps the plan needs to be rethought.
Technology is not always the answer to good manual procedures.

--
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/