Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Slow restore performance

2008-08-20 05:13:53
Subject: [Bacula-users] Slow restore performance
From: Christoph Litauer <litauer AT uni-koblenz DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 10:52:38 +0200
Dear bacula users,

I am running bacula 2.4.2 on a linux box. My backups are written to
disk1, a raid that is able to read/write about 80MB/s.

I just did a 'restore all' to another local connected disk (disk2)
(80MB/s read/write). While the restore was running I watched the
throughput using iostat. I saw disk1 was reading about 70-80 MB/s but
disk2 was just writing with 5-6MB/s.
It seems as if bacula does not just read the essential data from the
backup device, instead it reads nearly all backup data and then writes
the data that should be restored?

My disk device is configured

#
# File Storage
#
Device {
   Name = FileStorage
   Device Type = File
   Media Type = File
   Archive Device = /storage
   LabelMedia = yes;
   Random Access = Yes;
   AutomaticMount = yes;
   RemovableMedia = no;
   AlwaysOpen = no;
   Block Positioning = yes;
   Maximum Volume Size = 10737418240     # 10GB
}

I think a restore rate of 5-6MB/s is rather slow and I'm shure bacula
could do better. Any configuration mistake?

--
Regards
Christoph