Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] spool data is not defined on device resource ?

2008-08-20 03:50:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] spool data is not defined on device resource ?
From: Pierre Bourgin <pierre.bourgin AT arteris DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:49:54 +0200
[to: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net ]

Hello,

As a new bacula user, I'm currently setting bacula-2.4.2 to perform the
same backup jobs on 2 distinct medias: DLT tape and (removable) hard drives.
I want this way to do, since this usage is dedicaced to disaster recovery.

Since the DLT tape is on a dedicated host, the spooling feature is
highly recommended in the manual.
So I use "DataSpool = yes" in my defaultJob definition, in order to be
inherited on all jobs.

So all the jobs, used with the harddrive pool, will also have the data
spooling enabled ... that is rather counter-productive while backuping
into File storage, as written in the manual.

I understand that the SpoolData feature can be enabled/disabled on a Job
ressource, but why SpoolData feature is not available on a pool or
device ressource ? After all, the spooling feature exists because of
specific device comportment (tape drive), no ?
So SpoolData should be a property of a Device ressource definition ?

In my mind, SpoolData should be settled on a Storage resource, and take
precedence over its usage on a given Job, no ?

I also tried to set MaximSpoolSize and MaximumJobSpoolSize to 0 on the
hard drive device definition, but it does not work; perharps value 0
means "unlimited" on these Directives ?

Thanks for your comments or advices !

Piere Bourgin