Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula says it is doing incremental backup but does full backup.

2008-07-15 11:10:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula says it is doing incremental backup but does full backup.
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:10:18 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Fri, 7/11/08, Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:

> From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula says it is doing incremental backup but
> does full backup.
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
> Date: Friday, July 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
> O.K. I am at my wits end.
>
> I add a new Win XP client and ran a full backup (50 GB),
> immediately after that I ran a incremental backup.
> Incremental backup ran as it should, it backed up only few
> MB of data for changed log files.
>
> Then I ran Full and Incremental backup of one of the Linux
> client that had problem with incremental backup. Again,
> everything ran as it should, no problems at all.
>
> One thing that I did not do was run a fullbackup to tape
> before running full backup to disk as I had done before.
>
> I do not know why things failed the first time. I will have
> to wait until next full backup (first friday of August) to
> see if the problem appears again.
>
> Thanks for all your help/tips/suggestions.
>
> Hemant Shah
> E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com

> NOW!
> Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open
> source project,
> along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for
> chronic lameness
> and boredom. Vote Now at
> http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08

Well, I just could not wait another month to see if the problem re-occurs. I
decided to delay the production run of bacula for another month (my old backup
systems is still running) and ran another begining of the month schedule this
weekend, i.e. full backup to tape, then full backup to disk. On monday the
incremental backups were done and they ran without any problem.

I am worried that I was not able to re-create the problem, I did not change
anything in the config files except the schedule time. If there is a bug in the
new code then it could pop up again anytime, I do not like it when thing start
working without any changes to the code or config.

I guess I will have to wait and see. I think I will upgrade the server to
2.4.1. My clients are at 2.2.8.

Thanks again for all your help and input.

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com