Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula says it is doing incremental backup but does full backup.

2008-07-09 11:33:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula says it is doing incremental backup but does full backup.
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:33:08 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 7/8/08, Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> wrote:

> From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula says it is doing incremental backup but
> does full backup.
> To: "baculausers" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Date: Tuesday, July 8, 2008, 5:08 PM
> Hello,
>
> 08.07.2008 23:27, Hemant Shah wrote:
> >
> > Hemant Shah
> > E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
> >

> > --- On Tue, 7/8/08, Arno Lehmann
> <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> wrote:
> >> I'd suggest to find one file that should *not*
> have
> >> been backed up in
> >> the incremental and stat it.
> >> If any of the time stamps are in the future, or
> are after
> >> the initial
> >> full backup, you'll have t find why that is
> the case.
> >>
> >> Virus scanners are a common problem here, but - as
> someone
> >> pointed out
> >> - a file creation time in the future also happens.
> One good
> >> reason to
> >> implement reliable time sources like ntp.
> >
> > All but 2 systems are Unix so there are no Virus
> scanners running. Bacula did full backup on 27 clients. The
> chances of all the files on all 27 clients having future
> timestamp is unlikely. I am also using ntp on all systems.
>
> Ok... though there are virus scanner for unix systems, too
> :-)
>

> > I ran stat on 4 files that were backed up and their
> timestamps were not in future:
>
> Good.
>
> So I think we can assume Bacula correctly picked the files
> to backup.
>
> If that's the case, Bacula somehow ignored the full
> backup for the
> first incremental.

  I looks like first incremental backup ignored the full backup.

> Apart from my other suggestion - the incremental job being
> upgraded
> before the full job finished - I can not easily imagine why
> this would
> happen.
>
> You'd have to be able to reproduce it for further
> analysis, I fear.

  I have another windows PC that I probably could use and try to re-create the
problem.
  I will make sure that virus scanner is disabled.

> But perhaps you still have the complete job report from the
> first
> incremental (the one that behaved like a full). Can you
> re-send it,
> and also add the job report from the first full plus the
> job
> definition and schedule used?

  Ralf had asked for the same information, I have it in the reply to his e-mail.

> I fear this thread has become too long for me to find the
> relevant
> information in the older mails :-(

   I agree with you on that issue, it is getting difficult to follow all the
conversations, but I do appreciate patience of all the users and help they are
providing.

> Arno
>
> --
> Arno Lehmann
> IT-Service Lehmann
> www.its-lehmann.de

> NOW!
> Studies have shown that voting for your favorite open
> source project,
> along with a healthy diet, reduces your potential for
> chronic lameness
> and boredom. Vote Now at
> http://www.sourceforge.net/community/cca08

Hemant Shah