Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula says it is doing incremental backup but does full backup.

2008-07-08 18:08:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula says it is doing incremental backup but does full backup.
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 00:08:21 +0200
Hello,

08.07.2008 23:27, Hemant Shah wrote:

> Hemant Shah
> E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
>

> --- On Tue, 7/8/08, Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de> wrote:
>> I'd suggest to find one file that should *not* have
>> been backed up in
>> the incremental and stat it.
>> If any of the time stamps are in the future, or are after
>> the initial
>> full backup, you'll have t find why that is the case.
>>
>> Virus scanners are a common problem here, but - as someone
>> pointed out
>> - a file creation time in the future also happens. One good
>> reason to
>> implement reliable time sources like ntp.
>
> All but 2 systems are Unix so there are no Virus scanners running. Bacula did
> full backup on 27 clients. The chances of all the files on all 27 clients
> having future timestamp is unlikely. I am also using ntp on all systems.

Ok... though there are virus scanner for unix systems, too :-)

> I ran stat on 4 files that were backed up and their timestamps were not in
> future:

Good.

So I think we can assume Bacula correctly picked the files to backup.

If that's the case, Bacula somehow ignored the full backup for the
first incremental.

Apart from my other suggestion - the incremental job being upgraded
before the full job finished - I can not easily imagine why this would
happen.

You'd have to be able to reproduce it for further analysis, I fear.

But perhaps you still have the complete job report from the first
incremental (the one that behaved like a full). Can you re-send it,
and also add the job report from the first full plus the job
definition and schedule used?

I fear this thread has become too long for me to find the relevant
information in the older mails :-(

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann