Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup behavior with 2 tape drives

2008-07-11 09:36:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup behavior with 2 tape drives
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:36:36 -0400
Previously, "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> said

> There are ways to get bacula to load the same pool into 2 different
> drives. I am not sure of the details because I do not do this with my
> 2 drive autochanger. I have 10 to 20 different pools depending on what
> project and what kind of data I am backing up.

That would be the "Prefer Mounted Volumes" option.  I find this much
simpler than creating a multitude of different pools.  I also prefer to
use one policy for data retention--it's never seemed very useful to me
to keep incrementals for a shorter period of time than full backups as
the incrementals generally take up so much less space anyway.

>> > Different scenario. If I keep the pools as is, how would Bacula behave if
>> > one drive fails while in the midst of a backup?
> Most likely the job will fail and subsequent jobs will be blocked.

I have had a situation where a tape drive needed cleaning.  That
resulted in something like 10 tapes being marked in error when first
used.  The moral is to keep your drives clean.  Auto-cleaning detection
has never been helpful for me and cleaner style tape leaders are not
sufficient from my experience with LTO-1 and LTO-2 drives from both IBM
and HP and a variety of different tapes.  If the actual drive died in a
"permanent" fashion like a tape breaking or a power failure then the
drive will be blocked and other jobs should continue onto the remaining
tape drives.  Anything currently writing to that drive will fail but if
you're using spooling that should be just one job.