Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backup behavior with 2 tape drives

2008-07-10 15:55:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backup behavior with 2 tape drives
From: "Win Htin" <win.htin AT gmail DOT com>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 15:55:37 -0400

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 3:40 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Which means I have to create multiple INCREMENTAL and FULL pools if I want
> to make use of both drives (for throughput) at the same time?

There are ways to get bacula to load the same pool into 2 different
drives. I am not sure of the details because I do not do this with my
2 drive autochanger. I have 10 to 20 different pools depending on what
project and what kind of data I am backing up.

> Different scenario. If I keep the pools as is, how would Bacula behave if
> one drive fails while in the midst of a backup?
Most likely the job will fail and subsequent jobs will be blocked.

> Automatically unload the
> tape and make use of the second available drive or manual intervention?

Manual intervention.

> BTW,
> forgot to mention that I'm using version 2.2.6 on RHEL 4.

That should be fine. 2.4.1 is the latest bacula version. I am using
that because 2.4.0 gave me some problems with manual loads. Before
that I had 2.2.8 running for 6 months without any problem. I am using
64 bit gentoo though.

John

Thanks John. I'll go through the manuals again and give it a good thought how/what I want to accomplish. 2.2.6 has been rock solid for the last 7+ months and since I only need to worry about RHEL 4_x64 servers, I try to keep it simple.

Also, ever tried virtual tape drives? The IBM TS3200 tape library we have has the capability but haven't tried out as yet. Wondering how Bacula will behave in that scenario.

Win