Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 3TB and beyond ...

2008-07-08 10:01:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 3TB and beyond ...
From: LDB <ldbout AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:01:01 -0400
jeffrey Lang wrote:
> I'm currently at around 80 TB of disk being backed up.  This will jump
> to around 108 TB by the end of the year.
>
> My configuration:
>
>   Were using a storageTek L700e tape library 600 slots with 3 SDLT tape
> drives, SCSI attached to a Sun Sparc system running Solaris 10.
> Hopefully this will be upgraded to a new server with four fiber attached
> LTO-4 drives.  We are currently running backup 2.2.3, with plans to
> upgrade to the newer version soon.
>
>   Due to the length of the full backups I don't use the internal
> scheduler for dispatching jobs.   I have a standalone shell script that
> i use.   It checks to see if a job is already running or scheduled and
> won't reschedule the job.   This keeps me from having to do allot of job
> deletes by hand.
>
>   My disk partitions are set to 1 to 1.5 TB in size and takes about 36
> hours to do a full.   Incrementals run allot smaller from 10G to 50G in
> size.  A large portion of this data is geophysical which has a small
> possibility of compression, so I do compression at the tape drive.
>
>   Overall everything works great, I have very few problems.   My largest
> headache are tapes that were labeled bu then when used don't seem to
> work, i.e. the label gets written but when bacula tries to use the tape,
> it can no longer read the tape label.   So it gets stuck trying to mount
> the tape.
>
>    The other issue i just ran into is that my database can not handle
> any more data.    It seems that the files table can't handle any more
> records, which i told it to handle 10B.
>

>  Currently there are around 54 backup jobs, that run from around 20
> servers.   I allow four jobs per server at most
> LDB wrote:
>> Is there anyone out there backing up 3TB plus?
>>
>> If so, how does Bacula perform and how long does it
>> taking for a full and/or differential?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> LDB

Thank you All ... In my case, I have a numerous servers with at most 5
to 10GB to backup as a full. Then, I have a few servers with TBs of
data. Thus
far, the only way I can handle these servers is to attach external
drives onto the bacula server and make those specific jobs for those
servers go to those specified volumes. Well, that is what I am proposing
to implement.

Thanks again,

LDB