Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 3TB and beyond ...

2008-07-07 12:32:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 3TB and beyond ...
From: jeffrey Lang <jrlang AT uwyo DOT edu>
To: LDB <ldbout AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:32:08 -0600
I'm currently at around 80 TB of disk being backed up. This will jump to around 108 TB by the end of the year.

My configuration:

Were using a storageTek L700e tape library 600 slots with 3 SDLT tape drives, SCSI attached to a Sun Sparc system running Solaris 10. Hopefully this will be upgraded to a new server with four fiber attached LTO-4 drives. We are currently running backup 2.2.3, with plans to upgrade to the newer version soon.

Due to the length of the full backups I don't use the internal scheduler for dispatching jobs. I have a standalone shell script that i use. It checks to see if a job is already running or scheduled and won't reschedule the job. This keeps me from having to do allot of job deletes by hand.

My disk partitions are set to 1 to 1.5 TB in size and takes about 36 hours to do a full. Incrementals run allot smaller from 10G to 50G in size. A large portion of this data is geophysical which has a small possibility of compression, so I do compression at the tape drive.

Overall everything works great, I have very few problems. My largest headache are tapes that were labeled bu then when used don't seem to work, i.e. the label gets written but when bacula tries to use the tape, it can no longer read the tape label. So it gets stuck trying to mount the tape.

The other issue i just ran into is that my database can not handle any more data. It seems that the files table can't handle any more records, which i told it to handle 10B.

Currently there are around 54 backup jobs, that run from around 20 servers. I allow four jobs per server at most
LDB wrote:
Is there anyone out there backing up 3TB plus?

If so, how does Bacula perform and how long does it
taking for a full and/or differential?

Thanks,

LDB