Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 3TB and beyond ...

2008-07-03 19:09:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 3TB and beyond ...
From: Mikey Orr <morr AT ucsc DOT edu>
To: LDB <ldbout AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 16:08:58 -0700
We're at 2.7 TB, but expect to exceed 3 by the end of the year. So
far, things have been going really well! I've tried to design our
bacula system to top out around 6 TB, based on our backup window.

A quick overview of our environment: We are backing up an Apple XRAID,
mounted on 5 different XServes. Bacula runs as on each server and
backs up 1/5 of the RAID each. All 5 servers run their jobs at the
same time. This allows us to get enough throughput to drive our single
DLT-S4 drive (in a 20 tape library). The bacula server is a Dell
PowerEdge 1950 running CentOS 4.5. Bacula writes directly to tape, at
speeds around 55 MB/sec, so a full backup takes about 24 hours.
Incrementals go to disk and are much smaller (10 to 100 GB), so they
happen anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours. We see slightly less
performance on incrementals, just because of all the files it has to
scan. A full backup is about 9 million files...

I am planning on splitting the jobs that run into a series of smaller
jobs, maybe something like 25 jobs instead of just 5. Even though we
run all 5 jobs at once, if one of those jobs fails, it takes a really
long time to recover, especially if the job fails 10 hours into the
backup. Having multiple smaller jobs does complicate restores a bit,
but how often do you need to do those anyways? =D

-Mikey

On Jul 3, 2008, at 3:50 PM, LDB wrote:

> Is there anyone out there backing up 3TB plus?
>
> If so, how does Bacula perform and how long does it
> taking for a full and/or differential?
>
> Thanks,
>
> LDB

Mikey Orr
Core Technologies Unix System Administrator
ITS @ University of California, Santa Cruz
Call me at (831) 459-4222