Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How do you backup your home computers?

2008-06-25 04:55:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How do you backup your home computers?
From: David Legg <david.legg AT searchevent.co DOT uk>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:55:27 +0100
Kendall wrote:
> Terry wrote:
>
>> DVD writer for the cost of a couple of tapes and DVD for  ~AUS50c each.
>> Chunk your data into 4gb or 8Gb packages.
>>

> I started to disagree and figured out that that might make sense while
> writing this. If I did that for all of my files, it would mean writing
> to hundreds of DVDs when I did a full backup.

Tapes are nasty horrible devices!  They're expensive, slow and very
prone to letting you down just when you need them most (IMHO).  Not only
that but new (incompatible) tape formats seem to come out all the time
making archiving very difficult.

For home use I'd recommend an external USB 500GB or 1TB device.  Just
beware that some of these devices don't appear to be designed for
continuous use.

I have a small Ubuntu Linux machine which, once a day, sucks the essence
out of various Windows based laptops on the home network.  I schedule
the backups during the day so that there's a better chance the machines
are on and connected (I haven't got it to delay a backup until the
machine appears online yet).

I chunk the volumes to 4.2GB in case for some reason I have to move them
using DVD... though that's never happened yet.

Just beware of a slight niggle with backing up some folders on a Windows
machine.  Even when nobody has used the machine since the last
incremental backup it still seems to backup a minimum of 1.6GB per
machine.  I guess this is because Windows seems to use a lot of large
files of which small areas get altered; resulting in the need to backup
the whole file.

If Bacula supported an rsync style backup that could somehow only backup
the bits of each file that have changed instead of the whole file that
might solve it.

Actually, without this feature backing up onto DVD would be very time
consuming as you'd have to put in a new one far more often than would be
practical.

David Legg