Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How do you backup your home computers?

2008-06-24 23:11:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How do you backup your home computers?
From: Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:16:42 -0700
On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 20:37 +1000, Terry Collins wrote:
> Kendall Shaw wrote:
> > I think I can't afford a tape backup system for my home (I think the
> > average computer user can't afford a tape backup system sufficient to
> > backup their computer, these days).
>
> DVD writer for the cost of a couple of tapes and DVD for  ~AUS50c each.
> Chunk your data into 4gb or 8Gb packages.

I started to disagree and figured out that that might make sense while
writing this. If I did that for all of my files, it would mean writing
to hundreds of DVDs when I did a full backup.

Most of that is music, videos and archived files from the last 20 years.
Those file sets rarely change.

I suppose I should create separate jobs and file sets, so I can have a
job that does a full backup of my archived and rarely changing material,
that doesn't have a schedule.

My most frequently changing data might be able to fit on an affordable
number of DVDs, using a different job, I guess. Thanks!

One concern is that if I have my data in copies on different hard drives
on different computers, it's still in my mind that I have to worry about
hard drive failure and protecting my data. If it's on DVD, it's more
likely that I will forget to make copies to protect against DVD
disintegration (I've never made a copy of a copy of a DVD to protect
against disintegration). I supposed that would be true of tape too.

My impression is that the difference in disk drive cost and archival
media cost is a crisis waiting to happen, for households. I suspect it's
not at all unusual for people to have several hundred gigabytes worth of
stuff on their hard drives, now that 500GB hard drives are less than
$100 USD. I don't even have my computer setup as an "entertainment
center", as people are tending to do, in which case my disk space
requirement would be higher.

Kendall