Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How do you backup your home computers?

2008-06-25 06:36:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How do you backup your home computers?
From: David Legg <david.legg AT searchevent.co DOT uk>
To: Terry Collins <terryc AT woa.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:35:57 +0100

Terry wrote:
> David Legg wrote:
>

>> If Bacula supported an rsync style backup that could somehow only backup
>> the bits of each file that have changed instead of the whole file that
>> might solve it.
>>

> rsync is NOT a backup system.
> It is a file copy system.

Well... in my book anything that copies a file can be used for backup ;-)

More seriously though (and at the risk of digressing) if you have a
remote server that you can only backup over the internet you *need* to
use rsync in conjunction with Bacula to keep bandwidth costs down.
> A backup system includes AGED versions of data.
> Tape is a proven long term storage media and not unsuprisingly, tape
> storage formats have a longer life than such devices as floppies and
> especially crud such as hard disks.
>
> My MFM hard disks are trash, but the old QIC tapes are still readable.

I'm sure you're right ;-)

I've only been exposed to data recovery from tapes in a forensic
department and by definition they get a bit mis-treated during a raid!

David Legg