Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] How do you backup your home computers?

2008-06-24 01:13:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] How do you backup your home computers?
From: Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:18:24 -0700
I think I can't afford a tape backup system for my home (I think the
average computer user can't afford a tape backup system sufficient to
backup their computer, these days).

So, I can only afford to keep backups for the purpose of recovering from
hard drive failure, or restoring a file I deleted within the last week
or so. I have a "backup computer", that runs bacula, and I think I want
to have it rotate through volumes on the disk, where backups older than
a week vanish.

How do you do this?

What I'm doing now is having it do a full backup every week, during
which it's wiping out the previous week's full backup, since I'm not
ready to settle on having approximately double the disk space used to be
protected during that period. I also am not sure yet if I have enough
disk space to backup the other clients, even without using double the
disk space.

When I add another client it's going to be close to 24 hours per week of
backup activity for no purpose. Is there a better way?

What I think would be ideal would be to have one and only one full
backup, and then have rotating differential and incremental backups.
But, if that means that I have to have file information continuously
accumulating, my catalog will get too big.

Is there a way to just have file information saved for job #1 (the first
differential that got bumped up to a full backup) and allow later jobs
to be autopruned?

Kendall