Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] timeout contacting storage daemon on system with multiple interfaces (SOLVED)

2008-06-05 10:32:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] timeout contacting storage daemon on system with multiple interfaces (SOLVED)
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 10:32:28 -0400
Martin Simmons wrote:

>> Rather than tweaking the resolver on the client, however, it would be
>> better to put two A records for the FQDN in DNS. The FD would then have
>> to pull all IPs from its DNS query and favor an IP in its own subnet
>> over the others. I doubt the FD currently does this (though it might be
>> worth a try). It probably pulls only the first IP, in which case the IP
>> chosen would alternate between the two because the resolver normally
>> load-balances in round-robin fashion by changing the order of the
>> answers. So this likely wouldn't work without a change to the FD to
>> cause it to parse the addresses returned from the resolver and look for
>> an IP in its own subnet, rather than just choosing the first answer.
>>

> Deliberately putting unroutable IP addresses in the DNS sounds wrong to me,
> because it will break communication with the SD for all other programs that
> don't check both addresses.

Why would they be unroutable? If you have two subnets that are not
routable between each other, then it wouldn't make sense to have a DNS
server with a single view spanning both of those subnets. Either the DNS
server would have separate views for each of the subnets or each subnet
would use a different DNS server. Come to think of it, you are right.
The more I consider it, the more I am coming to believe that this is a
DNS configuration problem, not a Bacula problem. Name resolution should
not be returning an unroutable address.