Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] timeout contacting storage daemon on system with multiple interfaces (SOLVED)

2008-06-06 10:04:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] timeout contacting storage daemon on system with multiple interfaces (SOLVED)
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: Ariano Bertacca <a.bertacca AT vva DOT de>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:04:43 -0400
Ariano Bertacca wrote:

>> Why would they be unroutable? If you have two subnets that are not
>> routable between each other, then it wouldn't make sense to have a DNS
>> server with a single view spanning both of those subnets. Either the
>> DNS
>> server would have separate views for each of the subnets or each
>> subnet
>> would use a different DNS server. Come to think of it, you are right.
>> The more I consider it, the more I am coming to believe that this is a
>> DNS configuration problem, not a Bacula problem. Name resolution
>> should
>> not be returning an unroutable address.
>>

> Imagine:
> Two networks: A = 192.168.1.0/24 and B = 10.1.0.0/24
> The Backup Server contains DIR and SD and has two interfaces:
> 192.168.1.10/24 and 10.1.0.10/24.
> FD has one interface (10.1.0.11/24).
>
> The backup server has a fqdn which is "backup.internal.foo.local".
> Both systems use the same dns and backup.internal.foo.local has one A
> record (192.168.1.10).
>
> Now: the FD will get backup.internal.foo.local as SD and tries to
> connect. The packet may even be routable, but the answer will always
> come from the wrong ip, because the SD will answer from the nearest
> interface, which would be 10.1.0.10. This could be fixed, but that's
> not the point right now.
>
> When i add the second A record to the host backup.internal.foo.local i
> will get both addresses and the FD might even check both, but imagine
> other hosts inside the network 192.168.1.0/24 that might not be able
> to reach 10.1.0.0/24. These will now fetch a second A record and might
> fail to connect, since they don't know about 10.1.0.0/24.

No. This is why bind 9+ has the View clause. It allows different views
of the namespace it is serving depending upon whether the connecting
client matches certain criteria. The match-clients directive in each
view determines which view the client will see. The example below
defines a DNS server with 2 views, one for clients connecting from
192.168.1.0/24 and one for clients connecting from 10.1.0.0/24. When
clients on the 192.168.1.0/24 network query the DNS server for the name
backup.internal.foo.local they will receive the answer 192.168.1.10. But
when clients on the 10.1.0.0/24 network query the DNS server for the
same name they will receive the answer 10.1.0.10.

I have found this the best way to handle split networks in general. Much
easier than fiddling with hosts files on clients or working only with IP
addresses.

# example bind 9.x views for split network
options {
};
view lan1 {
    match-clients { 192.168.1.0/24; };
    zone "internal.foo.local" {
        type master;
        file "lan1.hosts";
    };
};
view lan2 {
    match-clients { 10.1.0.0/24; };
    zone "internal.foo.local" {
        type master;
        file "lan2.hosts";
    };
};
#eof

# lan 1 hosts
internal.foo.local   IN  SOA  ns1.internal.foo.local.
hostmaster.internal.foo.local. {
backup           A     192.168.1.10
lan1-client       A     192.168.1.20
#eof

#lan 2 hosts
internal.foo.local  IN  SOA  ns1.internal.foo.local.
hostmaster.internal.foo.local. {
backup           A     10.1.0.10
lan2-client       A     10.1.0.22
#eof