BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to backup a laptop over internet

2017-05-29 15:42:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to backup a laptop over internet
From: Xuo <xuoy AT free DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 21:41:48 +0200
Thank you for the explanations. I'm currently fighting setting up an openVpn connection.
I'll have a close look at your proposal.

Regards.

Xuo.

Le 29/05/2017 à 21:21, Les Mikesell a écrit :
On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Xuo <xuoy AT free DOT fr> wrote:
Thank you for the replies.
My pc is running Mageia5.
I don't understand how a VPN connection could help solving my problem. Could
Some VPNs (OpenVPN for example) can be configured to have a fixed
private IP address at the remote end, even though the connecting
public addresses will vary with your location.   If you set a
point-to-point tunnel VPN up on your laptop and your backuppc server
(or another host or the router on your home network) then backuppc can
be configured to use the end point address as its target, and if you
don't want to wait for a scheduled backup to run you can also use it
to access the web interface.   A good starting point would be looking
at point-to-point configurations of OpenVPN.    You'll need either a
stable IP address for your home network or at least something that
will work with a dynamic DNS service.