BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to backup a laptop over internet

2017-05-28 15:06:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to backup a laptop over internet
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT molnix DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 22:05:40 +0300
Hi Xuo,

>> What should I do to perform these backups from my server (located at
>> home) to my laptop located either on my local network or remotely (on
>> internet).

There are many approaches:

- Dynamic DNS
- VPN
- Reverse tunnel
- Mirror files on server with rsync or unison, backup server instead
- Use a cloud storage system, backup the cloud storage instead

>> I'm not in some hotels, ... but in another flat (that I rent), where I
>> have a static IP and where I could open some ports if necessary (ssh,
>> ...).

Additionally, in your case, you could simply set up two hosts, one for when connected locally, one for remotely.

Best regards,
Johan Ehnberg

--
Johan Ehnberg