BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Updated BackupPC 4 Debian Packages

2017-05-27 01:35:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Updated BackupPC 4 Debian Packages
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 22:34:11 -0700
Ludo,

No, rsync-bpc isn't usable without BackupPC.  Your name sounds fine (although it would be good to have a consistent package name across others flavors - are there any already?).

No, 3.1.2 isn't ready for use.

The main upgrade risk area is around rsync config parameters and arguments not being compatible between 3.x and 4.x. Configure.pl tries to extract $Conf{RsyncSshArgs} (a new 4.x setting) from the old $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} setting.

Craig

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:23 AM, Ludovic Drolez <ldrolez AT debian DOT org> wrote:
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:53:05AM -0700, Craig Barratt wrote:
>    Ludo,
>    Cool - thanks!
>    I'm close to releasing new versions for all the components: BackupPC,
>    backuppc-xs and rsync-bpc.  There are several important bug fixes.Â

Ok, I've started to package rsync-bpc as a new package name
"backuppc-rsync" to make sure that users do not install rsync-bcp
thinking it's a normal "rsync".

I don't know if rsync-bcp is usable without backuppc?

Is the new package based on rsync 3.1.2 stable enough ?

>    For BackupPC, will it be a new package new (eg, BackupPC4)?  The general
>    consensus is that would be better since there are some potential
>    incompatible configuration changes users might have to deal with.

Ok, I'll try to see if I can handle them during the upgrade process and
try to keep the same package name under Debian.
Do you have a list of configuration incompatibilities?

Best regards,

--
Ludovic Drolez.

https://www.aopensource.com             - The Android Open Source Portal