BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Updated BackupPC 4 Debian Packages

2017-05-30 18:25:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Updated BackupPC 4 Debian Packages
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Ludovic Drolez <ldrolez AT debian DOT org>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 00:25:06 +0200
Hi,

(shouldn't this really be on backuppc-devel?)

Ludovic Drolez wrote on 2017-05-30 20:45:35 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Updated
BackupPC 4 Debian Packages]:
> > On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 10:34:11PM -0700, Craig Barratt wrote:
> > >    No, rsync-bpc isn't usable without BackupPC.

stupid question: should it even be installed in /usr/bin then?

> > > [...]
> > >    The main upgrade risk area is around rsync config parameters and
> > > arguments
> > >    not being compatible between 3.x and 4.x. Configure.pl tries to
> > >    extract $Conf{RsyncSshArgs} (a new 4.x setting) from the
> > >    old $Conf{RsyncClientCmd} setting.

As far as I can tell, an automatic conversion is not always possible. For
simple cases, it's easy enough. Varying orders of ssh command line options
make things complicated. And in the general case, RsyncClientCmd could be
virtually *anything* that leads to a connection to something that emulates
an rsync protocol. I'm not sure RsyncSshArgs can be as flexible, or at least
that this can be achieved by an automated configuration translation.

Also, I believe configure.pl doesn't handle host configuration files, and I
would assume that doing so in postinst would violate policy, because host
configuration files don't belong to the package, do they?

Aside from that, there is no longer an RsyncClientRestoreCmd, so part of the
formerly possible configuration simply does not translate.

Finally, the configuration file may contain arbitrary Perl code for
determining the value of RsyncClientCmd (or anything else, for that matter),
defeating conversion as with the web configuration editor.

Thinking about it, for config.pl, simply including a new version would leave
it up to the user to resolve the differences between his local version and
the new version, wouldn't it?

Regards,
Holger