BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with the schedule config

2017-05-24 19:23:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with the schedule config
From: Kris Lou <klou AT themusiclink DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 15:58:48 -0700
I'll take a stab at it.

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 5:41 AM, Yong Zhang <hiscal AT outlook DOT com> wrote:

1) I want servers to be backed up daily, but full backup only runs on Saturday, how?

AFAIK, there isn't an easy way to determine when specific backups (full/incr) run. My understanding is that BackupPC runs within the context of the blackout periods and client visibility, and executes full/incr depending upon the expiration counts of the existing backups.

That being said, you could manually start a full backup on a Saturday and hope for the best within a 7-day cycle.  Or you can set a cron job, but then you're missing out on the ability to automatically stagger backups.

It just occurred to me, you could leverage a DumpPreUserCmd (combined with UserCmdCheckStatus) to verify the day (Saturday), dump type (Full), and exit status (Yes, it is) on whether or not to proceed.  I think that a non-zero status here would put the client back into the queue, and it would try the same dump again upon the next wake.  There are probably other caveats -- like whether a client sitting in the queue for a long time might have some existing backups expired and purged in the interim, but it's something to consider.

2) I want servers to have incremental backup daily for 6 days then 1 full backup, and keep all these backups (inc/full) for one month, but after one month, I only need to keep weekly full backups for 180 days (that is about 24 full backups total), and after 180 days, I just want to keep full backups at monthly basis e.g. keep one full backup one month and 12 months total. Is this possible and how to set the values in config?

If I'm reading the docs right:
* FullPeriod = 7 days
* FullPeriod * 1 = 24 backups
* FullPeriod * 2 = 0 backups
* FullPeriod * 4 = 12 backups

So KeepFullCnt = [24,0,12], with IncKeepCnt=24.  This is a little more Lunar and less Gregorian, but that's what we get for mixing weeks and months.