BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with configuration for Win 10 client

2017-01-15 21:35:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help with configuration for Win 10 client
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 18:20:02 -0800
On 1/15/2017 4:26 PM, TE Dukes wrote:
> I don't get the part about the 'module'

Module is an rsync concept. It's like a Windows "share". In the rsync
server you specify your modules under bracketed sections. On my
workstations I define a [C] section in rsyncd.conf that points at C:\.
Then, on my Linux server, I specify that I want to back up the C module.

 From the BackupPC server, try running "rsync hostname::" and you should
see the Win10 box respond with the list of modules you've configured.
You can get a listing of the top-level directory of the C module with
"rsync hostname::C".

Here's my rsyncd.conf for a system with an F: drive to also back up,
which shows up as the F module. (This has no security except for
forbidding writes.)

use chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = *
log file = rsyncd.log
#pid file = rsyncd.pid

# newer versions of rsync need this
uid = 0
gid = 0

# Module definitions
# Remember cygwin naming conventions : c:\work becomes /cygwin/c/work
#
[C]
path = /cygdrive/c
read only = true