BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Still unable to "resume" a partial backup

2016-08-05 03:15:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Still unable to "resume" a partial backup
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 09:15:16 +0200
also sprach Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au>
[2016-08-05 01:04 +0200]:
> We do update a partial backup, as long as the new partial contains
> more files than the previous partial, but it doesn't even save
> a partially transferred file.

I think this is fine, and a partially transferred file is actually
possibly less useful than not having it, and if only it gets your
hopes up, or you don't notice immediately. Gosh, imagine watching
Alien from backup and not being able to see the end! ;)

In my case, there aren't huge files (or rather, I try to handle them
differently (git-annex)). So the partial file issue is none for me.

Yet, backups still sometimes never complete. I think it must be
a combination of the slow link, and the fact that (I think) BackupPC
transfers too much data for files that have already been backed up.
I've started another thread on this and will continue there.

https://adsm.org/lists/html/BackupPC-users/2016-08/msg00018.html

Thanks, Adam and everyone!

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

"'oh, that was easy,' says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove
 that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra
 crossing."
            -- douglas adams, "the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net