BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-18 12:46:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 18:45:34 +0200
Thanks Les,
comments below.

Il 18/05/2016 18:31, Les Mikesell ha scritto:
> On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
> wrote:
>> Hi Everybody,
>> it occurred to me there may be legal pitfalls (particularly in the States,
>> but not only) concerning "Intellectual Property" of any contribution.
>>
>> I know several organizations (e.g.: Eclipse) require a declaration from each
>> contributor stating:
>> 1) he is transferring Copyright of each and all patches to the Project.
>> 2) no other party (i.e.: his employer) has any claim on his contributions.
>> I know because I had to go into some loops to have some contributions
>> accepted.
>>
>> Should we be concerned?
>> I know *noting* about USA Copyright laws (aside from the fact they're making
>> many "attorneys" rich).
>> Is there someone knowledgeable here on the list?
>> Should we seek advice? (where? github? FSF?)
>>
>> We should fix this ASAP, before the coder base enlarges.
>>
>> Please give advice.
>
> Since the initial license is GPL v2, the only restriction is that any
> changes/additions must also be GPL or compatible (include source and
> not add additional restrictions).  In some cases projects add a
I am not worried about that.
I'm fine with GPL2+.
> requirement to transfer ownership of contributions to the official
> version so that someone would have the authority to change the license
> on future versions if desired - but it may already be too late for
> that.
We do not want to change that and I'm glad none can take away freedom from this
project.
I am worried about our ability to redistribute contributions.
Please see the link David sent (http://oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/cla).

I think We need a CLA and we should require contributors to sign one.
Any idea on how to do that?
@Lars: does github have such a service?

Regards
Mauro