BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-21 17:10:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:09:21 +1100
On 22/01/16 05:45, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>> I see some earlier mail list messages saying that is normal:
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/backuppc/mailman/message/34478542/
>> I guess that's when it removes files that are not in any current
>> backup.  Apparently it only takes a long time when you have a very
>> large number of files.
> I understood what is happening by looking at the code. I need help to
> debug more.
>
> When BackupPC_dump is running, a temporary "needFsck.dump" is created
> (line #985)
> This will trigger an fsck on next run (lines #723-#730)
>
> Temporary file is deleted at #1159 but in my case this is not
> happening, thus, an fsck is always run.
>
> So, in my case, the issue is between lines #985 and #1159
>
> Probably, my backups are always detected as failed. A failed backup
> will exit without removing the temporary fsck file (line #1152)

Which would explain the "missing" backup numbers... possibly. I think if
you get an error, then you will end up with a missing backup number, so
you won't have consecutive backup numbers (even if backups haven't been
expired).

> Somethimes I'm getting these errors:
>
> 2016-01-21 13:53:09 Got fatal error during xfer (rsync error: error in
> rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(629) [generator=3.0.9.3])
> 2016-01-21 13:53:15 Backup aborted (rsync error: error in rsync
> protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(629) [generator=3.0.9.3])
Can you run dmesg, and see if you have any lines like this:
[11613050.504117] rsync_bpc[7279]: segfault at 7f9ee5c7e428 ip
00000000004473af sp 00007ffc3d7bdf80 error 4 in rsync_bpc[400000+75000]

There seems to be some bug in rsync_bpc, I was working on tracking that
down last week, but my C programming is rather limited, so I'm stuck.
Hoping someone else on the bpc-dev list might be able to assist.
Otherwise, I might try one of the online programming forums to see if I
can get some assistance there.

Regards,
Adam

--